[ubuntu-uk] NFS and NetworkManager

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Sun Dec 2 18:05:40 GMT 2007

Hi Mac,

On Sunday 02 December 2007 14:55:30 Mac wrote:
> Peter Lewis wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > So far as I can tell, my network connection is brought up when I log in
> > to my Kubuntu box, through the network manager tray icon. This connects
> > me to my wireless network.
> >
> > However, I have a couple of NFS shares, which are listed in fstab. They
> > never get brought up automatically though, since during booting, the
> > network is not up yet. I then have to do a 'sudo mount -a' to get them to
> > come up *after* I've logged in.
> >
> > I'm sure it's not supposed to work like this. How do I get the network up
> > earlier so that this isn't an issue?
>
> Pete >>> Does your /etc/fstab refer to these shares by their full IP
> address on the LAN or by a share name?  I use the LAN IP addresses, and
> my shares mount automatically when the wireless network is up.  (Tho' I
> use Gnome rather than KDE).  Don't know if the form of the addressing
> matters, but if it's a factor, it may be worth a quick test.

They're listed in /etc/fstab using a hostname, but the hostname is directly
listed in /etc/hosts, (it's only a small home network). So, I'm assuming that
this is functionally equivalent to the IP itself being listed...?

> I should say that the mounting of network shares (I use CIFS) is not
> perfect:  it sometimes takes a while for them to mount;  and sometimes
> they don't, and, like you, I need to do a <sudo mount -a> to get them
> up.  But mostly they do come up when the wireless network becomes
> available.

I was using CIFS for a while, but realised when I did a reinstall of my server
box that I don't use Windows any more, so switched to NFS (which seemed to
handle permissions a little better from my perspective). It seems though that
the choice of NFS vs CIFS wouldn't impact upon this.

Your comment about them taking a while to mount made me think about time-outs
a bit, so will try an experiment or two... and get back. Thanks!

Cheers,

Pete.