[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Bug #1 - what we're up against

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:41:40 BST 2007

Hi Matt,

Hope work's going well.

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 10:19 +0100, Matthew Larsen wrote:
> Well thats the biggest threat to linux: If Microsoft charged
> reasonable licenses for their software (ie £20 for Vista Ultimate),
> FOSS would be blown out of the water.

I really have to disagree on that point. In my experience, very few
people use Ubuntu because it's free. It is a factor, of course - it
makes it easier for people to try it out, and people aren't worried
about being out-of-pocket if they don't like what they see. But it's
almost never the real reason that they switched.

Most of the people I know who have switched to Ubuntu have done so
because of the better security and speed improvement. These people were
sick to the back teeth of having to deal with viruses and spyware, and
were victims of the usual Windows slowdown which kicks in a few months
after installation. Having a cheaper Vista license doesn't solve either
of these problems.

Thanks,

Phil

--