[ubuntu-uk] What do I need? (multiple PCs / multiple monitors)

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Aug 17 14:38:18 BST 2007

** Mark Harrison <Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com> [2007-08-17 14:30]:
> There is a bit of software whose name I can't remember, hence Google is
> not my friend :-)
>
> You run this software on multiple machines, and stick their monitors
> next to each other across your desktop. One of the machines has a
> keyboard and mouse attached.)
>
> When you run the mouse off the right-hand-side of machine A, it
> effectively transfers a cursor over to a "matching" point on the LEFT of
> machine B, and transfers keyboard control to that machine.
>

> 1: What is this called?
>
> 2: How scalable is it? (To multiple machines, multiple monitors on a
> given machine, Y axis as well as X axis).
>
> 3: Can I, in fact, drag and drop application windows between desktops (x
> would allow me to do this, I'm sure, though I'm not sure about windows
> that overlap multiple x desktops....)
>
> 4: Does it allow Windows machines to become part of the "array" (mea
> culpa, I still need a Windows machine for work.) [1]
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1]... because I need to test our websites against Windows clients and
> IE bugs, that's why.
** end quote [Mark Harrison]

At a guess you are talking about something like Synergy [1] which
classes itself as a virtual KVM (or at least that's how I found it with
Google). I started off thinking there was a solution based on VNC, but
I've not found one. In case it is of any interest I managed to find
Synergy through this site [2].

[1] http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://okvm.sourceforge.net/