[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu servers hacked?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Aug 16 08:48:17 BST 2007

Alan,

alan c wrote:
>   Ubuntu Servers Hacked
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/15/1341224
>

> If this is true it is pretty sad. It will take some time for
> confidence to be regained. What a gift (or a result?) for the opposition!

Sad indeed, but I'd like to know how these machines were compromised. In
my experience, Linux/Unix machines are usually compromised because a
user name/password has been discovered by a hacker (sorry, cracker!).
And quite often, the discovery has been through a compromised Windows box!

So if this was a user name compromise, then we can put that down to
operational error, or security flaws in some other system.

If it was an exploit of a vulnerability in Ubuntu, then that, to me, is
a little more worrying. If so it shows the importance of keeping up to
date with security patches.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold