[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu servers hacked?

Jim Kissel jlk at osml.eu
Wed Aug 15 20:07:55 BST 2007

alan c wrote:
>   Ubuntu Servers Hacked
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/15/1341224
>

> If this is true it is pretty sad. It will take some time for
> confidence to be regained. What a gift (or a result?) for the opposition!

It was a case of self inflected injuries.  Using FTP instead of sFTP or
SCP.  Not keeping their machines up to date.

The only redeeming aspect is non of the machines that were compromised
were repositories!

> I was recently trying to reduce my ignorance about security by asking
> questions about security, and on the ubuntu forums I had asked a
> couple of questions about security which were apparently so tiresome
> that they were immediately sidelined into a dead thread!

What questions?

--
Simple effective migration to Open Source based computing

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: jim.kissel at osml.eu