[ubuntu-uk] Migrating from MS Windows

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:33:54 BST 2007

On 06/08/07, Bill Culshaw <inwoodcymru at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I have moved my business and home computing over to Ubuntu,with very little
> problems.
> with the exception of  3  little niggles.
> Are there drivers available for a 2Wire usb wireless adapter.

It's hard to tell, without knowing which chipset the 2Wire USB adapter
uses. Help is at hand though. If there are not compatible Linux
drivers for the adapter, you can often use the Windows drivers
instead.

Check out this page on the help site
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper - It's a
bit scary, but follow it through and it should help you get your
wireless adapter up and running if you have the patience to follow it!

> How do I install a minimum Kubuntu desktop without ruining my existing Gnome
> setup

You can install it by opening a terminal window (Applications >
Accessories > Terminal) and typing sudo apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop

Be aware though, it'll probably install KDE (kubuntu) programs
alongside your gnome ones. You'll just notice more programs in the
application menu, you may also notice that when your computer boots
up, you get the Kubuntu loading screen. You will now be able to select
whether you want to start KDE or gnome when you start Ubuntu and get
the login screen.

> Is there a Ubuntu/Linux application that has the functionality of my old
> Lotus Organiser.

Perhaps someone else on the list can better advise you. To be honest
it's not something I use. There are a few personal information manager
programs for Ubuntu though.
KDE has Kontact and Korganiser with Thunderbird and Evolution on
Gnome. Can't comment on any of 'em ;-)

> I realise that I am asking this in the wrong place (sorry)
> Would welcome any assitance may be available.

Heh, no problem. This mailing list is a good a place as any to ask
Ubuntu questions, and you're more than welcome here.

> Regards Bill...

Cheers

Chris