[ubuntu-uk] find a file

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:56:26 BST 2007

On 06/08/07, norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> Thanks to all who have had a go at answering my question. However, am I
> to understand that I need to know where I might find the file I am
> seeking before I go looking? If that is the case then it defeats what I
> thought was the idea. What I was looking for was a
> command which would tell the computer to search every folder on my
> system.

Hi Norman,

You could try installing Beagle. This replaces the 'Search for
files...' menu option with a 'Search' option. This brings up a
'Desktop Search' screen, which allows flexible searches.

It works a bit like the locate command that was mentioned earlier in
the thread, since it actually checks a database when you perform a
search. However, it can have hooks into the filesystem enabled so that
the database gets updates as files change (I don't think this is
enabled by default, since you need to change a flag that is used when
the filesystem is mounted).

This means you can skip using the command-line.

HTH
Hwyl,
Neil.