[ubuntu-uk] find a file

norman norman at littletank.org
Mon Aug 6 09:14:59 BST 2007

Although I have used Ubuntu for quite some time I have never been sure
how to go about finding named files. I am not a Linux person although, I
can use a terminal if needed. For example I needed to find any files
with .lck as the extension and remove them otherwise I would be unable
to burn DVDs using Mthtv. So, I went to Places -> Search for files,
entered *.lck and the report was no files found. Yet there had to be at
least one file which was causing me the problem. Eventually, after much
research I found two files in a folder on my desktop.

Surely, Search for places should have found these or am I not using the
utility correctly?

Norman