[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu-UK Planet CoC

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Aug 3 14:04:01 BST 2007

Michael Wood wrote:
>> There have been a few issues with some of the posts appearing on the
>> Ubuntu-UK planet, These haven't really been resolved as we have no
>> guidelines to uphold any complaints around. Therefore I propose that
>> there should be an code of conduct aimed at the planet.
>>
>> I have written a draft CoC [1]
>>
>> There is a meeting on the 12th of August which I am hoping we can agree
>> to implement what ever results from this proposal [2]
>>
>> Before making changes please discuss here !
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/ubuntu-uk.org/planet/CoC
>> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/MeetingNotes/20070812Meeting
>>
>> Michael "X3N" Wood
>>

> ...OK so obviously the wording is not clear enough
>
> "As Ubuntu community members we expect that you keep to the Ubuntu
> community code of conduct [2]"
> I think most people agree with this
>
> "Ubunutu-UK planet is not an acceptable platform for promoting
> commercial interests."
> was aimed at saying "no spam please"  for example, if someone started
> using the planet as an advertising platform
>
> "Ubuntu-UK planet is not an acceptable place for discussions on
> community conflicts/issues."
> This is just a re-iteration of Ubuntu's code of conduct designed to stop
> flaming as we saw with Caroline (posts of accusation and counter
> accusation)
>
> "Please make sure that a majority of your posts to the planet have FOSS
> related content."
> This does not say only FOSS related content. The whole reason all of us
> are part of ubuntu-uk is that we share a common interest, and in my mind
> the planet is just a way of taking that further
>
> I'm a little disappointed that people feel threatened by this
> *proposal*, the only driving force behind is to respond to a problem
> that i've seen. Some reactions would have me seen as though I wanted to
> turn the planet into a suppressed militarised regime of censorship and
> general hardship for everyone.

There are a whole range of views related to open source and FOSS. Some
are understandably extreme. If your objective is to avoid spam, then
maybe a series of drafts are not at this stage the best approach, but
maybe a discussion of the objectives and also of possible solutions,
then, later, a draft may emerge with out causing concern?

Is my sig 'spam'?
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391