[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu-UK Planet CoC

Dave Murphy dave at schwuk.com
Fri Aug 3 11:32:08 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 00:18 +0100, Michael Wood wrote:
> There have been a few issues with some of the posts appearing on the
> Ubuntu-UK planet, These haven't really been resolved as we have no
> guidelines to uphold any complaints around. Therefore I propose that
> there should be an code of conduct aimed at the planet.
>
> I have written a draft CoC [1]

As others have commented, your proposal is far too restrictive.

> Ubunutu-UK [sic] planet is not an acceptable platform for promoting
> commercial interests.

Following your CoC, then would my posts about the Official Ubuntu Book
be unacceptable since I got paid for contributing to it, and Canonical
get paid for people buying it?

> Ubuntu-UK planet is not an acceptable place for discussions on
> community conflicts/issues.

Which community?

> Please make sure that a majority of your posts to the planet have FOSS
> related content.

This depends on what your view of what a Planet is. To me it is simply
an aggregation of related feeds, which in this case the relation is
simply that we are 'members' of Ubuntu-UK. Nothing more, nothing less.
The planet is _not_ the Ubuntu-UK website - nor should it be so - and in
fact states that "This page contains feeds from ubuntu-uk member's
blogs". Nothing is said about it being restricted to FOSS related
content on the planet itself or the wiki page that drives it.

As far as I am concerned you are simply introducing barriers to
contribution that are neither needed nor wanted, and your wording is far
too expansive.
--
Dave Murphy - http://www.schwuk.com