[ubuntu-uk] This came in on the local Freecycle

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Thu Aug 2 10:21:33 BST 2007

alan c wrote:
> What about advertising on Freecycle-
> 'Ubuntu Linux CD - the good alternative to Windows - free install and
> advice'
It would be totally AGAINST the charter of Freecycle just to do this,
and likely cause a backlash.

The purpose of Freecycle is to stop stuff going to landfill... not to
provide a platform where other groups can promote their own agendas.

I would far rather than "The Ubuntu Community" approached "The Global
Freecycle Team" and tried to put together a cross-promoted initiative to
provide a service where we would put Ubuntu on old PCs and then
Freecycle them...

- local Ubuntu teams would be encouraged to contribute the installation time
- local Freecycle groups would be encouraged to specifically get their
members to contribute older PC kit

There's a difference between working WITH another group, with their own
mission, and trying to "Hijack" their services to promote our own.

Mark