[ubuntu-uk] Linux on a USB pendrive

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:20:12 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 08:56 +0100, Johnathon Tinsley wrote:

> > On 28/04/07, TheVeech <theveech at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Just got myself a 160gb WD Passport USB HDD for my laptop, so I've
> > freed
> > > up my 2gb pendrive and I'm looking around for what to do to run a
> > fully
> > > functioning distro (doesn't have to be Ubuntu) with a home
> > partition on
> > > it. Anyone had a go at this?
> > >
> > Have a go with Damn Small Linux.  It has an option to install to
> > usb.
> > Also because it is debian based you should be familiar with how it
> > works.
> You might also want to try Flashlinux (flashlinux.org). It's designed
> not to kill your usb key with a special filesystem, but its for 256MB
> keys, and hasn't been updated in a while. Although, you can get it
> working on larger keys.

Thanks.  Looking at a few of the distros available, it seems the
instructions are quite similar and there's quite a lot of choice.  I
came across these, which look like good starting points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveUSB
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

For Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

As usual, there's countless UbuntuForums
(http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php) threads on this, too.

For just using portable software on a pendrive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software