[ubuntu-uk] Partitioning Questions

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 08:39:30 BST 2007

On 4/30/07, Stephen Garton <sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Steve,

1. The recommended amount of swap used to be 2*main memory. I
generally don't bother with this, as I think 2GB of swap is a waste
for 1GB main memory. However, if you want to use hibernate and such,
then you will need to at least match your main memory with your swap
size (i.e. 1GB for you). Depending on whether you run some really
memory intensive programs, you may like to stick with 1GB.

2. You'll get problems if you try and install Ubuntu on a root
partition of size less than around 2.5GB. You specified 12Gb, which
should be fine for a good while, but you can always resize your
partitions...

3. As you've noticed, you can't resize a currently mounted partition.
What you need is some sort of live CD for gparted. Check the gparted
website ;-)

As for accurate documentation, I wouldn't be able to find any proof of
the swap-memory ratio (point #1), although I'm sure there is some
somewhere. I doubt there will be a lot of information on root
partition size (point #2), apart from minimum sizes. The gparted
website will give you some authorative information to back up point
#3.

HTH,
Kris

P.S. It *is* possible to install Ubuntu on less than 2.5GB. However, I
had to use the text mode install, as it fails due to lack of space.

I had to do an apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean, and remove a bunch
of files in /var/cache/apt/archives etc. every now and then to keep
the install alive.

You can probably use the server install disk to install a minimal
subset of packages and get that minimum / partition size down a bit
more.