[ubuntu-uk] Loading Fiesty into Mac mini

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 12:35:17 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 10:34 +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:

> I'm afraid that my missus has put her oar in and insists that she has
> the new machine.  This means that I shall have to transfer all her
> folders + Neooffice J (she doesn't like the later versions) on to the
> new machine via pen drive before we can get going.  But it does mean
> that we shall be putting Ubuntu on the old pre-intel mac mini and so
> can now get the info you need if you will tell me where to look,
> please.

Well, we've got a 60gb HDD, but how much RAM do we have on this machine?
We need to know this for partitioning.

I'd guess that this is the forum you could do with consulting:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=133

If you haven't registered for the forums and would like to, but would
like someone to do this for you, email me the username (do not send the
email to the list) you'd like to use and I'll try to register it and
email you back the details, including a password you'll need to change
(i.e. you shouldn't trust anyone with your password).

And the documentation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/powerpc/index.html

> I wish I could future-proof myself - everything's slowly sliding
> downhill.  I don't have to keep the mac core programs and applications
> (such touching faith in Ubuntu).  I can manage my files within 20gb if
> necessary, although having more makes life much easier.

Swings and roundabouts, one door closes another one opens, etc., etc.

You will have more space than 20gb.  Seeing as though you aren't
interested in video and audio, space shouldn't even remotely be a
problem.

> Now we've got the 60gb HDD to play with, which, once my missus has
> cleared her stuff out, can be cleaned as much as is needed.  There
> will be no applications that I will be keeping and the doc files can
> be taken off on a pen drive for the time being, then put back.

The install will do the cleaning, since we'll format the drive.

> If we are using the HDD in the mac mini (or do you mean CD), there's
> no need for a CD ?

We'll need to install Ubuntu with a CD on the old Mac.