[ubuntu-uk] Loading Fiesty into Mac mini

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:34:26 BST 2007

On 4/28/07, TheVeech <theveech at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > not
> > > sure of the worth of the CD drive on the laptop, it's about 5 or 6
> > > years old.  I have another mac mini a year old running Tiger with a
> > CD
> > > drive which does't like ejecting its discs so I use it as little as
> > > possible (I use pen drives for backup).  Should I buy new discs and
> > > are there different sorts, if so what should I get and how many?
> > > Would a  pen drive do the job ?  Had a look at the forum you
> > recommend
> > > above, reassuring in some ways, daunting in others.  At the end of
> > the
> > > day, I  need to be in serious business with OOo and have no fears
> > > about a new version if it is a development of the old.  Other
> > software
> > > can be added at leisure.  Thank you for your help.  Robin
> >

> You should be fine with OO.org then.
>
> You'll have to install Brasero on your Ubuntu installation, unless it's
> available on Tiger - I'll look later, but I'm watching Match of the Day
> at the moment, and I've only just realised that I've already
> inadvertently sent 2 replies!
>
> We've got time for you to try writing the disk image on the laptop.
> Like I've said, though, if you can burn a disk image with software on
> your existing Mac, give it a go.
>
> We could try installing off your pen drive, but I want to keep it
> simple, so we'll start off with the intention of using a CD.  We may
> need to play with the BIOS (check wikipedia for definition), but on this
> I haven't got the slightest idea how Apple machines approach this.
> Something else to look into.
>
> Get whatever disks your drive supports.  Any CD you can write to should
> be okay.  Ideally burn 2 copies just in case one fails during the actual
> install - this has happened with installs I've done in the past with no
> prior warning whatsoever.  Just get as few disks as you can.
>
> The forum thread is a bit daunting in parts, but at least the people on
> it are reporting success!  I might try and get in touch with the people
> who posted there for their experiences after the weekend, seeing as
> though they're using these specific machines.
>
> Back to partitioning, I'll look further into this and hope people on the
> list post their thoughts on it, too.  Don't forget, though, that it's
> your computer, so you're the boss.  Just because people might be helping
> you out, this doesn't mean that you're under any obligation to accept
> anything you don't want.
>
> I'd suggest setting the Mac up to use Ubuntu only, and ditch Mac's OS.
> The reasoning behind this I've mentioned before.  I'd add that my
> opinion is that you're better off sticking with one OS to avoid
> confusion and not water down your knowledge across multiple OSes and
> applications.  Get to know one well, rather than two superficially.  You
> need to consider this choice, and I don't mind whatever you decide.

I am happy to agree with you.  Mac Tiger is a decent job but has an annoying
way of hiding each of the several different ways of doing something - which
is maddening when one's memory isn't what it used to be.  Searching in
Ubuntu I find intuitively easier and less confusing.

Here's roughly (ignoring 1024) what I'd do with an 80gb disk with, say,
> 1gb of RAM (RAM we need to confirm since conventional wisdom is to set a
> Swap partition of double your amount of RAM):
>
> / (root)
> 8gb ext3 bootable
>
> /home
> 70gb ext3
>
> /swap
> 2gb

I can only accept your advice  on this (amended for 60gb HDD)

Finally, don't thank anyone yet.  We've yet to do the work.  Despite me