[ubuntu-uk] video

norman norman at littletank.org
Sat Apr 28 10:15:48 BST 2007

I am fairly new to this sort of thing and would very much appreciate
some advice. I am trying to sort out a difficulty and seem to going
round in ever decreasing circles. Yes, I do have the feeling that I may
disappear.

I have taken some scenes using a digital camcorder and want to look and
listen to the results on my desktop and put a file on my website so that
other members of my family can also see them. The suggestion I had was
to use Kino to import from the camcorder to the computer as an avi file
and then to convert this to an mpeg file which should play using Movie
Player. After further research, I have been able to do this fairly
successfully except that I am unable to combine sound and vision into
the same file. Sound by itself - yes, vision by itself - yes, both
together - no!

Is there something else I ought to do, perhaps different software or
something I could be missing in Kino? I am using Ubuntu 6.10 with which
I am generally satisfied. Please, please help.

Norman