[ubuntu-uk] Orange broadband

Tony ttiger at lineone.net
Mon Apr 23 23:38:12 BST 2007

"Dianne Reuby" <pramclub at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
message news:1176984617.4920.5.camel at dianne-desktop...
> I've had a good report on Orange broadband, from someone who uses it to
> run his business. But the CD only list Windows, and website requirements
> state Windows. I've asked about Linux, but while I wait for a reply,
> does anyone else use Orange broadband with Ubuntu?
>
> TIA
>
> Dianne Reuby

 If you use a router, as long as the PC has a working Ethernet connection,
it doesn't matter what OS you use.  I stopped using Orange about 6 months
ago.

I was originally with Freeserve who got taken over by Wanadoo, who sold out
to Orange.  Just prior to selling out, Wanadoo deleted all newsgroup access
without sending a notification.  I then got a bit miffed that Orange was
signing up new users at £5.00 less than I was paying.  When I phoned them,
they said that I would have to sign up to a new 12 month contract if I
wanted the reduced price.  They also changed the rules so you have to give
30 days notice if you want to migrate and if you don't manage to complete
the migration before the MAC expires, they will charge to issue another one.

Can't say I ever had any problems connection wise with their service but I
probably left before it deteriorated.  Got the impression that they put
profit first and stuff the customers.

With Newnet now and happy - paying less for a faster connection, bigger
download limit and fixed IP.

Tony