[ubuntu-uk] Fiesty Fawn Formally Freed for Future fetching !

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Apr 20 12:08:38 BST 2007

** Dean Sas <dean at deansas.org> [2007-04-20 10:25]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > ** baz <baza41 at gmail.com> [2007-04-20 02:06]:
> Generally a release candidate gets generated and tested for a few days
> before it's actually decided it's good enough and is promoted as 'feisty
> final'. Ideally the release candidate and the actual release should be
> identical.

Exactly. It seems likely that I goot a little lost in all the noise in
the release thread and the delay hit a few days ago, not on the 19th -
which was the way I read it. It did seem a little rash to spot a bug and
release the final version complete with fix on the same day! I shall
chalk it up as another reason I don't like forums ;)

> > Yes, I'd expect the actual iso files, etc. to be ready a day or so
> > before release to give time to get everything in place. My main
> > confusion was that I'd read on the Ubuntu forum somewhere that there was
> > a last minute bug found and everyone was waiting for it to be fixed (I
> > have in mind a kernel bug related to ATA cards or something,
>
> That's right, it delayed the release candidate by a few days, well that
> and a wireless bug.

I think I covered this above :)

> > Anyway, I have the iso, so little lost in giving it a go tomorrow. It'll
> > be a clean install next to an existing Windows XP install (I have the
> > alternate CD). With any luck I'll have a usable Ubuntu system this time,
> > although the particular machine hasn't had too much luck with the live
> > CD so far - painfully slow even with 512M RAM on a 1.2GHz (real speed)
> > Athlon; I have an extra 256M in there now, but lack the right size DIMMs
> > to go any higher :(
>
> My 1.3ghz p3, 512mb laptop runs fine when it's actually installed,
> haven't tried the live cd, (I used the alternate) but I can imagine it
> being slow.

Yes, this machine does seem a little on the nasty side. It isn't that
new, and has an Athlon from before they days when everything moved to
the supposed equivalent clock rate rather than the actual one - at least
an actual clock speed was an accurate piece of information, even if it
was totally useless for comparing performace, lies, damn lies and
statistics ;)

I haven't tried Linux on it since I upgraded the RAM to 768M, but when
it was at 512M I tried loading Ubuntu (6.06) on it and if I hadn't been
sidetracked into something else I'd have given up and put it down to a
crash or something. As it was it took around 20 minutes to load to a
working machine (and find out that Frozen Bubble isn't on there by
default so my son couldn't play it!).

That said, Windows XP runs on it like a dog too. I generally walk away
and leave it for about 5 minutes after logging on so it can get itself
sorted out and ready to use. The most annoying thing is the wireless
card which can take serveral manual attempts to get connected to the
network (it's a USR one, and I think USR have had their day in terms of
hardware quality - they made nice analogue modems in the early days but
haven't managed to move on since then).

I've run diagnostics on every part of the machine I can though, and not
one shows up a hardware fault. All the drivers are at their latest
versions too. I often wonder whether it is down to the extra software
required to keep the machine secure, but even that shouldn't have this
much impact on it - it isn't as if I daft enough to use Norton on it!

My PII-700 laptop with 512M runs Win2k nicely (well, as nicely as you
can run Windows), and is quite happy with Ubuntu (6.10) bar the lack of
any wireless network connectivity. It will be intersting to see how 7.04
goes onto the Athlon machine. I'm half tempted to give Xubuntu a try -
it had a nice bit of coverage in the Guardian yesterday (Linux for
Grannies!), and I do use XFCE myself in preference to Gnome or KDE
anyway.

** end quote [Dean Sas]

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/