[ubuntu-uk] Fiesty Fawn Formally Freed for Future fetching !

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Apr 20 02:35:09 BST 2007

** baz <baza41 at gmail.com> [2007-04-20 02:06]:
> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 01:31 +0100, Leon Barker wrote:
> > I installed Feisty 4 days ago and have not received any updates
> > therefore the final version must have been released about 5 days ago.
> >
> > The problems with installing is due to heavy demand on the servers.
> >
> > I'm sure your iso files are fine.
> >
> > Leon
>
> Agreed, it looks like while there was an, 'official' launch, Fiesty has
> been complete for around a week or so. I upgraded about five or so days
> ago and not had any 'main' updates since.
>
> So, if you're thinking of upgrading: do it. Fiesty is really nice.
>
> Baz
** end quote [baz]

Yes, I'd expect the actual iso files, etc. to be ready a day or so
before release to give time to get everything in place. My main
confusion was that I'd read on the Ubuntu forum somewhere that there was
a last minute bug found and everyone was waiting for it to be fixed (I
have in mind a kernel bug related to ATA cards or something, but it is
late and I've had a long day). I've lost the tab, and can't really be
bothered to search through the forum thread to find the reference now -
firstly it is too late, secondly there was rather too much noise on the
thread for me, more like a bunch of teenage girls waiting for the latest
Take That single than geeks waiting for a code release!.

Anyway, I have the iso, so little lost in giving it a go tomorrow. It'll
be a clean install next to an existing Windows XP install (I have the
alternate CD). With any luck I'll have a usable Ubuntu system this time,
although the particular machine hasn't had too much luck with the live
CD so far - painfully slow even with 512M RAM on a 1.2GHz (real speed)
Athlon; I have an extra 256M in there now, but lack the right size DIMMs
to go any higher :(

One day I'll get the time to fix my laptop install. It killed my Win2k
install (largely my fault when I created space, I think the partition
labeling for Win2k has changed so I need to repair the install). The
networking also doesn't work, largely down to lack of decent Linux WiFi
driver support. The native driver for my first card doesn't appear to
support WAP (which I am committed to using on several networks), it also
seems that there is a known incompatiblity with this card and the router
I'm using (although that should just be down to naff Windows drivers and
the firmware since the fix is to upgrade both - which I have done, but
to even more recent versions than those that have the fix; so the bug
must have crept back in). The second card I have to use doesn't have any
native Linux drivers. So far I haven't bothered to jump through the
necesary hoops to get the thing working!

Anyhoo, I'm now touch typing wiht my eyes closed, so I'd better stop
before my fingers get out of sync and this all starts getting to be
a mess!!

Given a few more months I may yet become a Ubuntu convert - it isn't for
lack of trying. I just keep finding that tailoring Debian to my tastes
takes less time than tailoring Ubuntu. Ubuntu I install for other people
;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/