[ubuntu-uk] Firefox and BBC video clips

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:19:22 BST 2007

On 17/04/07, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:02:27PM +0100, Stephen Garton wrote:
> > On 17/04/07, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> > [Snip]
> > > I watch BBC programmes using
> > > mplayer mozilla plugin. It works in much the same way as realplayer - the
> > > little box pops up when you click video on the bbc website and the video
> > > plays in it. It just works.
> > >

> > At the risk of taking this Off-Topic, how do you tell firefox which
> > plugin to use? Mine has defaulted to using the totem plugin, which I
> > find less than useless most of the time. At the moment I use the
> > 'Download Embedded' Firefox plugin to save the files locally (not
> > tried this with BBC content)
> >

> Very easily. I removed the totem-mozilla plugin, and installed
> mozilla-mplayer. Job done.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Ah. Is there no way to set a 'default'?

IIRC, uninstalling totem-mozilla removes ubuntu-desktop, which I
always understood to be a bad thing when doing things like (for
example right now) testing Feisty, as ubuntu-desktop will pull in new
stuff etc etc.

As usual, feel free to correct me/prove me wrong :)
--
Steve Garton
http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk