[ubuntu-uk] Firefox and BBC video clips

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Apr 17 05:41:41 BST 2007

TheVeech wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 22:01 +0100, alan c wrote:
>> alan c wrote:
>> > In both kubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 (different machines) I am getting
>> > problems with Firefox and bbc video clips.
>> >
>> > I believe the existing configuration was mplayer (plugin) with FF but
>> > from my present experiences I am only getting any success at all after
>> > removing mplayer, (re) installing realplayer and for good measure
>> > (re)installing firefox. The video clips then play ok in realpayer as a
>> > separate player, and not integral in FF.
>> >
>> > Is something happening with bbc or the apps, (or not) that I have missed?
>>
>> I am still not able to play bbc video clips, using either firefox or
>> konquerer
>> (kubuntu 6.06, also 6.10).
>>
>> Is anyone finding they can play stuff from bbc please? It might give
>> me some clues?
>> I get sound, but no picture, either with realplayer or mplayer
>> apparently. If it worked ok in the past -  great, buut when it does
>> not work there is a lot to sort through and I am struggling.
>>
>> (it is getting desperate here - not that I watch bbc video much 0 but
>> I needed to this evening. After efforts and lack of success anywhere,
>> in desperation I turned on a windows machine and used it. I have not
>> done that in a couple of years. Pretty sad)
>>
>> tia
>> --
>> alan cocks
>> Kubuntu user#10391
>

> Try (in Terminal):
>
> sudo apt-get install totem-xine

thanks I did this and things installed, although some dependencies
were also needed subsequntly
'Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt-get -f install’ with no packages'
I did apt-get -f install
and the following installed

==========================
libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-3 libgda2-common libgdl-1-0
libgdl-1-common libgtkhtml2-0 libgtkspell0
   python-gnome2-extras python-vte python2.4-gnome2-extras
tango-icon-theme tango-icon-theme-common
Suggested packages:
   gda2-mysql gda2-postgres gda2-odbc gda2-sqlite gda2-freetds
python-gnome2-extras-doc gnome-icon-theme
The following NEW packages will be installed
   libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-3 libgda2-common libgdl-1-0
libgdl-1-common libgtkhtml2-0 libgtkspell0
   python-gnome2-extras python-vte python2.4-gnome2-extras
tango-icon-theme tango-icon-theme-common
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so in addition to the originally installed RealPlayer10GOLD.bin I
apparently needed totem-xine and the above dependencies.

and now, bbc video plays ok when using
use standalone player

Thanks!
--