[ubuntu-uk] Spread Ubuntu

Rob Stent rob at sharpsites.co.uk
Sat Apr 14 16:50:57 BST 2007

Ok I'll try to respond to all the comments in one go:

As I mentioned in my first post I have read various discussions on the
possibility of setting up a Spread Ubuntu site in a similar vain as
spread firefox. This includes spending some time reading the discussions
at the Marketing Team wiki. These discussions seem to have been going on
for a long time and I just wanted to get on with something. Too much
talking and not enough doing. The number of people and suggestions
involved seems to have bogged things down. I thought, why not get
something out there and go from there, being open to suggestions. After
all isn't that the open source way?

Just to be clear, my intention for the site is for it to be a place for
people to discuss promotion ideas and in time, access resources to do
such promotion. The intention is not for the site itself to market
Ubuntu. A site called Get Ubuntu (yes i realise there is a section for
this on ubuntu.com) would be a possibility for this with just a simple
short list of why you would want it/what's good about it and how to get it.

I've used a .co.uk domain name because it was the only decent one
available. I plan to make it clear on the site that its meant to be
international despite the domain. My thought was that in future if the
site is successful it may be allowed to use the .com

Thanks to Alan I'm now using the Ubuntu theme for Drupal so the site
matches ubuntu.com however there's still some tweaking to do with the
layout.

I take the point about using the Ubuntu forums rather than creating
another one but it just seemed to me that its mainly dedicated to support.

Rob