[ubuntu-uk] The Latest Wireless

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Apr 12 19:43:43 BST 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 07:07:29PM +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 17:17 +0100, TheVeech wrote:
> > What's the latest in wireless that's available on Ubuntu?  I'm using 'b'
> > & 'g', but what's the state of play with 'n'/'pre-n'?
>
> Does "n"/"pre-n" require any special facilities in the host OS? I always
> thought it was a feature of the hardware...

It is but if the only people making �"n" type devices are Marvell and
Broadcom (*) then you might be less likely to get good driver support in the
kernel to use those devices.

* I dont know who makes the chipsets for "n" devices, just pointing out that
the hardware has a knock on effect on the software/firmware/driver used.

Cheers,
Al.