[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu torrent tracker failed?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Apr 12 19:33:38 BST 2007

twager wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> twager wrote:

>>> Sorry...
>>>    I was playng with k3b when I was replying...I shoud have said KTorrent
>>> I have finished the d/load and all went well..I am using port 6881 on
>>> ktorrent
>>> and it tells me udp tracker port 4444
>>>

>> thanks
>> I am using port 6881 also on ktorrent - other torrents are working ok
>> on different trackers.
>>
>> Where did you get the (ubuntu) torrent file itself from? afaik the
>> torrent file specifies the tracker details including the tracker port.
>>
>>From the address in your mail......

Oh dear. That means it is at my end somehow then.
It looks like something to do with my firestarter firewall settings
related to outbound policy. I had previously used several machines
which all had firestarter installed and used, although it has not
always been running, and the torrent problems persisted. They all gave
problems as above.

After your comment here now, I used a clean install (6.06) machine,
and - as you indicate, the torrent is ok, although with me it uses
tracker port 6969.

I obviously need help to understand what settings to use for
firestarter, both for general use (web browsing, pop mail,  - were
apparently ok anyway) and particularly for torrent use.

All comments appreciated.
tia
--
alan cocks