[ubuntu-uk] GetGNULinux.Org

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Apr 10 17:14:07 BST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 04:32:25PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> >From the site:
>
> > The accurate name is GNU/Linux but "Linux" is used more often.
>
> As I understood it, the term "GNU/Linux" refers to a distribution that
> contains only GPL-compatible code.

That's what the GNU zealots might want you to believe! :)

IMO GNU/Linux means "A combination of the Linux kernel and the GNU tools",
you may slap stuff on top of that, but it's clear the base is Linux and the
GNU tools.

> So, Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, but not a "GNU/Linux" distribution.

There are very few that are if you use that definition. GNewsense, ututo and
core linux are the only ones that spring to my mind.

Cheers.
Al.