[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu cube graphics

Stephen Morrish stephen.morrish at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 10:27:17 BST 2007

The 3D desktop is really cool and once you turn down some of the more
extreme features it becomes a positive improvement to productivity.

Your big problem is the VIA chipset. There is a big black hole/blind
spot, Linux has little or no support for "Chrome" graphics cards.

My laptop is new and there is no drivers what so ever. If you are
running a older kit you may be in luck. You should be able to get the
2D drivers working with a lot luck and work you may be able to get the
3D working. I'm not sure if this will be enough for Beryl to work, as
I gave up on getting the drivers for my laptop I didn't investigate
any further. I'm stuck with the standard Vesta drivers!

If your motherboard has a AGP slot your in luck and a cheap card
should do the job nicely.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-FX2128  £26.44

On 4/1/07, baz <baza41 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 21:59 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Im wanting to install some eye candy on my edgy 6.10. i would like to
> > install the flashy cube thing (sorry im new :)
> >
> > The only thing is im running a AMD Athlon XP2000+. It has an onboard
> > graphics card "via". I read that this these fancy graphics required
> > either nvidia or ATI but can i not use this?
> >
> > Also can someone point out an "easy" tutorial i could follow then id
> > be very grateful.
> >
> This worked for me on my Dell laptop (Inspiron 2200).
>
> http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_with_XGL
>
> Baz

Regards Steve Morrish...
AKA Pendragon