[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu & TV licensing

Ashley Hooper ash_hooper at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 22:13:41 BST 2006

---- "Neil Greenwood" <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote: ----

> I mentioned detector vans above. I think you can still associate an IP
> address endpoint even when accessing a multicast connection... I could
> be wrong, my IP/networking knowledge peters out when it gets to
> multicast.

No, that's not possible without a specific piece of software being installed on
each multicast listener to report back to TV Licensing.

In operation, only the very next 'upstream' router from each multicast listener
knows the actual IP address of its listener(s).  Whether there is only 1
listener or 100 listeners on a network segment is irrelevant to the routers
*further* upstream; they only know YES/NO whether they need to forward traffic
for a particular multicast group to the router servicing that segment.

--
"We do not inherit the earth                http://backtobreath.com/
  from our ancestors;                 ...--    __@