[ubuntu-uk] Problems installing Ubuntu server on an old computer

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:31:36 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 13:07 +0100, South Walney Information Management
wrote:
> A client has an old PC, which was running Windows 98 which had become
> tired and she lacks the original Windows 98 didks as she bought the
> machine second hand.  Somewhere along the line she managed to format the
> hard disk so that Win 98 will no longer boot.
>
> I have suggested that this machine is a prime candidate for XUbuntu.
> Unfortunately, when I tried to install XUbuntu from the CD, I discovered
> that the BIOS wasn't able to recognise the CD in order to boot from it.
>
> I made a Linux rescue floppy and was then able to read the XUbuntu CD
> but not boot from it.  What I could do was make a floppy from sbm.bin,
> which would then allow me to boot from the CD-ROM.
>
> It was then quickly evident that memory was low because the nascent
> XUbunto could not access swap space on the hard disk.  It tried gamely,
> running through keyboard selection and hardware detection, but
> eventually turned up its little feet with the message
>
> <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
>
> What I think I need to do is to get a rescue floppy or CD which will
> enable me to format and repartition the hard disk.  Although I may be wrong.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Rosie

Have you tried
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromWindows

I've just got an ancient laptop and am having similar issues. I get:

isolinux: Cannot boot from this CD. Please use CD2 or try a BIOS update.

I'm using the alternative install CD of Xubuntu as my 80MB machine isn't
beefy enough for the live CD..

I'm going to try the instructions on the wiki as it boots to a dos
prompt.

Caroline