[ubuntu-uk] Here we go again...

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:12:33 BST 2006

On 26/09/06, Llywelyn Owen <linux at spamtracker.co.uk> wrote:
> Just deleted all the google cookies and now it works fine. I should have
> figured that out when I knew that the other browsers worked OK. Panic over.
> Thanks for you help. How come my (daily) Updater is notified of updates
> later than, say, yours? Are we tagged in such a way that not everyone clogs
> up the servers on the same day? Would make sense to me.

Sometimes it pays to be late.... or not.

Veering a little OT here but I've heard talk on the forums about
staging the releases to avoid a repeat of the X breaking update. I
think the basic idea was to hold updates in a universe-sort-of-place
until they had proved themselves.

What you wrote got me thinking however.... it might make sense to
simply stagger the updates on the basis of "competence" if you will?
By default updates could wait up to 24hrs but users with relative
experience could switch to recieve updates immediately.  Any immediate
problems & the update could be stalled and re-tried.

Of course one problem is while computer illiterate people are least
able to fix broken updates, they are the most likely to require the
securit ones to keep their system safe.

Hm.

Martin