[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu & TV licensing

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Sep 25 15:08:21 BST 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:51:57PM +0100, Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 25/09/06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Various people mentioned TV Detector Vans.
> > These can certainly pick up computer monitor output (I'm not sure
> > about LCD screens, but CRTs work the same way if they're for TV or
> > computer).
>
> I was always under the impression TV Detector Vans were a myth and
> they just drove around to addresses that didn't have licenses (much as
> they do now).  I checked Wikipedia (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom
> ) but it's not entirely clear either!

Not quite. The big antennas on top of the vans aren't real. They generally
have as you say a list, but also a handheld device that can detect the
tuner in the telly. So if you say "no guv, no telly in here" they can say
"you were watching BBC1" and roughly where the telly is in the house.

AIUI

Cheers,
Al.