[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu & TV licensing

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:33:18 BST 2006

On 25/09/06, Martin Fitzpatrick <martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/09/06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Various people mentioned TV Detector Vans.
> > These can certainly pick up computer monitor output (I'm not sure
> > about LCD screens, but CRTs work the same way if they're for TV or
> > computer).
>
> I was always under the impression TV Detector Vans were a myth and
> they just drove around to addresses that didn't have licenses (much as
> they do now).  I checked Wikipedia (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom
> ) but it's not entirely clear either!

I used to think the same, but then I read about the Tempest technology
and the lengths that the military go to in order to prevent snooping
at computer monitors.

I know the incentive for looking at a TV screen is less than that for
reading classified documents that are being viewed, but the level of
detail that the TV detector needs is also much lower - you only need
to see that it's a TV picture and not a computer screen.

Neil.