[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu & TV licensing

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 12:51:57 BST 2006

On 25/09/06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> Various people mentioned TV Detector Vans.
> These can certainly pick up computer monitor output (I'm not sure
> about LCD screens, but CRTs work the same way if they're for TV or
> computer).

I was always under the impression TV Detector Vans were a myth and
they just drove around to addresses that didn't have licenses (much as
they do now).  I checked Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom
) but it's not entirely clear either!

> But I don't think the Licensing people use them much anymore. The law
> has changed so that they can presume that anyone who doesn't have a TV
> license is guilty unless they can prove their innocence. The onus is
> on the person accused, as far as I can see it.

As an interesting aside I used to live in a flat that didn't have a
TV.  When the man from licensing came to check us out he had to ask
permission to enter the house and then refused to look in the bedrooms
("It's not neccessary / We're not allowed").  All a bit odd I thought,
although you can think of a million and one reasons why this would be
the case.

Connecting this back to the discussion: I'm not sure you need to be
overly paranoid of their thoroughness. From my experience at least
they seem more interested in those who blatantly flout the rules, i.e.
by owning a TV set.

Martin