[ubuntu-uk] Community & Language (was: LinuxWorld London 2006 Update for 24th September)

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 25 02:24:23 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 22:56 +0100, Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 24/09/06, Caroline Ford <caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I've been looking at language packs and comparing our support with UK
> > community languages. We don't do very well currently :(
>
> Perhaps that's something we could focus on as a team (or a
> sub-project)?  It's also allows people who may not normally be
> involved in computing to contribute.
>
> > I'll finish off that bit of research and post it to the list.
> > In an ideal world we'd want edubuntu in bengali etc but our translations
> > aren't there yet..
>
> When I read the paragraph above I was thinking Welsh/Gaelic but you're
> spot on - the UK culture is made up of such a mix of communities and
> backgrounds.  As the Ubuntu UK team we want to be making Ubuntu
> accessible to as many Brits as possible.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of community-connected work
> with open-source?  Are there any specific selling points of
> open-source that differ across groups or cultures?  What is the
> competition? (e.g. Windows language support)

I have experience of community-connected work, but not connected with
computers (I used to work for one of the inner London boroughs).

I suspect the selling point will be language support - I don't know
which languages windows is available in but I intend to find out. I also
suspect Windows is also only available legally in the UK in English and
Welsh - but I'll check.

I think this may be a good way into the British public sector,
especially education. I've been thinking about supplementary education
schools - Saturday schools that teach community languages along with
literacy, numeracy and IT.

I presume that our minimal Welsh language support will be a real barrier
to access the public sector in Wales. I think the Scottish parliament is
supporting Scots Gaelic but whether practically and with hard cash I
don't know..

Caroline