[ubuntu-uk] LinuxWorld London 2006 Update for 24th September

Adam Bagnall ajb35 at kent.ac.uk
Sun Sep 24 18:13:32 BST 2006

Nik Butler wrote:
> Afternoon all. So its been a quiet week on the list regarding the
> exhibition but that does not mean we  have not been hammering away
> behind the scenes.
>
> First off thanks to Alan Helmore-Simpson and Paul Sladen for keeping the
> Ubuntu Tablet demo project moving forward. By now Paul should be in
> possession of the tablet so I  will await his response.
>
> Ana, has suggested being able to help out with Videos and reporting for
> the day , is there anyone else whom wants to help on that side of the
> project ?

I'll be running around taking photos of anything and everything, so I'll
give a hand here if needed.
> More people have signed up to help out on the stand. You can expect me
> to be asking the commitment question next week to ensure we can start
> planning who will be where and if equipment will need to be moved  and
> how we can start to plan that.
>
> The Ubuntu  people have contacted me to confirm that the request for
> SHIP-IT CDs is confirmed. Ive requested 600 CDs with at least 400 as PC
> based and the remaining set broken down amongst 64bit and Mac versions.
> I have also had the confirmation about the conference pack being sent
> through. Speaking of marketing . Id like to order up some Polo Shirts to
> wear on the day as well as Sell can I get a Commitment for at least an
> order of 20 , since I can get the price reduced on larger quantities and
> I can get 25 for £10.00 each so guess what .. if we can get an order in
> early we can sell the rest at the show and start putting our Ubuntu-UK
> team pot together.  The lead time on the order is two weeks so the
> deadline for getting in orders is next week !

Put me down for a couple of orders 25 although I might keep a couple
:-). How much are we planning to sell the t-shirts for at the stall?
> Ive spoken to the Ubuntu marketing peeps and they will be contacting me
> next week to let us know if theres anything they are looking to focus on
> at the stand.
>
> Things im still waiting for suggestions/content/materials/confirmation
> of a good idea  on ; keeping it simple theres just a couple of things:
>
> 1. Things to Show/Demo during the two days.
> So yes we can show the desktop and we can show it working with hardware
> thats a given but should we maybe plan to do some presentation, lighting
> talks or Ask the Ubenteros moments ?
> 2. Things to talk to people about on the day .
> Other than CDs and Posters what topics do we all want to promote. The
> Ubuntu Loco Team UK and its groups are a given here so why not build
> around that , and how ?
>

> Id like to ask you all to help with committing to hardware ( even the
> small stuff like cables and power bricks ) that will be available for
> the show and how it will get to the show and I will be asking for this
> prior to end of September.

I've got a 5 port 10/100 ethernet hub and an 11MBit wireless access
point (but only with wep encryption) which I'm happy to lend for the stall.
> Im still waiting on comments from Brian about the stand dimensions ,
> fascillities and access so we are still working to a rough note here.
>
> Thats all for now, thanks again to those of you whom have committed to
> helping out for the show your efforts are all much appreciatted.
>
> oh one more thing..
>
> Shall we all head out for a Drink and a curry on the evening of the Set
> up ? Nothing to harsh for the evening but a good way to get to know
> faces and people and ideas before the show. Im sure they'll be another
> one after the event..

I doubt I'll be able to make it :-( Damn work.