[ubuntu-uk] Where to put shared files

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Sep 17 09:31:09 BST 2006

Steve,

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 02:24 +0100, Steve Smith wrote:
> I've finally got my server working, LTSP here we come!
>
> I want a directory for files shared between users on the same machine
> (music, photos etc.).  Is there a convention for where that should be?

I'm not aware of any convention so far as path names are concerned. I
would probably put this area in its own partition or logical volume and
mount it somewhere like /sharedfiles. Assuming users can write to this
area, putting it in its own partition means if it gets filled up, then
only the shared area is messed up and not the system, or users home file
store.

> Should I be using NFS (bear in mind it's all on one machine), or is it
> easiest just to make a directory and assign users to a group?

If it's all on one machine, I think NFS is over the top! I'd go for the
groups thing personally.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold