[ubuntu-uk] LinuxWorld planning page

Philip Wyett philipwyett at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 20:23:52 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 18:18 +0100, nik wrote:
> William Anderson wrote:

> >> id also suggest not leaving it to the spill checker ! boot should be booth !
> >>

> >  Booth person: Would you like to peruse the enlightened wares of
> >                Ubuntu?
> > Show attendee: Errrr, not really, I'm a Windows XP Home user!
> >  Booth person: *boot to the head*
> >

> Actually thats a bloody excellent point..
>
> Knowing how to ask good open ended and clear questions in order to
> engage people in useful conversations is a something which I keep
> promising to address. Neil Simmons taught me all I ever wanted to know
> about sales and selling and many of his "tricks" I try to employ when on
> the Stands at worthing promoting our LUG.
>
> Its really important to avoid closed and one answer questions, such as:
>
> Have you heard of Ubuntu ?
> Do you use Ubuntu ?
> Heard of Linux ?
> Do you use Windows ?
>
> All of the above just lead to one word answers.
>
> What is useful is if we ask questions that reveal the reasons for people
> being at the show and their reasons for wandering close to the Booth.
> Acknowledging their replies and listening to keywords which can provide
> opportunities to open the conversation and direct people to consider
> Ubuntu is the end result but getting there is a interesting experience.
>
> So , at the risk of asking a some closed question.
>
> Do we have anyone here who has had some training or is working in a
> sales type role ?
>
> It would be good to have  some excellent opening questions to ask people
> , since breaking the ice at these shows is bloody hard for us british types.

As well as the person to person ice breaking, there is the audio/visual
attractor i.e. something on the stand that can make the individual pause
and possibly start the conversation with stand volunteers.

A start to a list of possible ways of doing this are:

 * Game related (rolling demo or something playable).

 * Video related (Streaming video or PVR).

   *** maybe tv license issues here _if_ using RF input ***

 * Server related (web server or file movement etc.).

 * Audio related (Streaming audio or dukebox).

   *** maybe public performance fees issues ***

 * Virtualization related (Vmware, Xen etc).

Regards

Phil