[ubuntu-uk] Live CD appreciation.

Nik Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 19:33:47 BST 2006

Okay new thread time:

AC and I chatting on the Linux World planning page both raised issues
and thoughts about opening conversations at Computer Fairs.

Now I will be the first to admit that the Sussex Lugs present Knoppix
CDs at their BCF meetings for the following reason:

There is frankly more demonstrable applications installed on the CD then
appears at first under Ubuntu.

Now weve constanly returned to the conversation of offering a second
Distro and Ive always argued that you need one distro on offer and one
conversation to be had since people are confused enough with the current
choices in the distro market. You want people to be open to one choice
not feel they need to make a choice between two.

Now theres no way I have time or knowledge to remaster the current
LIVECD offering and sure enough if you asked 10 Community members for 10
choices as to what goes into the Live CD offering you will end up with
100 answers.

So instead I would draw our attention to Mr Shuttleworths presentation
about N Big Challenges ( im still hunting that one down btw ) where we
need to focus on working with gadgets.

If I knew the CD on offer would show Ipods, Cameras , Scanners, Flash
Memory and printers working well off the CD ( yeah yeah someones going
to say that its all possible but see next paragraph ) then i think its
improved tool for showing off Ubuntu and the community and I will be all
for arguing its use.

Im always happy to revisit which CD we offer at the British Computer
Fairs in Worthing but until I can get that kid in the candy store
feeling of choices in applications that Knoppix demonstrates it will
always be the CD of choice for us when people return for a second bite
of the Linux Cherry. Which means that we use Knoppix to show a wealth of
applications but we talk Debian and therefore Ubuntu when we are
discussing serious implementation of Desktop user to anyone who comes
back. We explain our reasons and we do our best to get people to come to
the Meetings.

so : Dicuss :

Nik