[ubuntu-uk] Flash's LED Stays On. (Was: ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 2)

Chris Jones cmsj at canonical.com
Wed Sep 6 15:59:31 BST 2006

Hi

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 15:22 +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> However, on friends' machines running MS Windows on doing the `safely
> remove ...' option (whatever it is) the light goes off and stays off.

I believe this is because Windows disables the whole device, possibly
even powering it off. Linux (or more specifically in this case,
gnome-volume-manager) just unmounts the filesystem. However, I'm not
100% sure about that, but I have noticed similar behaviour on my various
removable devices and they are always fine.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at canonical.com