[ubuntu-uk] Newcomer to ubuntu - some questions.

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Oct 31 08:14:17 GMT 2006

Andrew Price wrote:
> On 30/10/06 14:03, John wrote:
>> 1. How can I get verbose boot messages back?
> The only way I know that solves this problem is removing the 'quiet'
> option from the kernel boot options (either editing the command in grub
> every time you boot or poking a stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst to make it
> permanent)
>
> I think it's a pity they removed the boot messages to be honest. After
> using Linux for a while it's frustrating to not know what my computers
> are doing as they boot. It's one of the things I dislike about Windows
> and now it's made its way into Ubuntu :/

I also see this, but I think the upside might be (and maybe the
intention too?) that someone coming in off the windows street will
feel absolutely comfortable with this. Ask a person out there if they
use a computer, and if they say 'yes' they mean 'windows'. They have
no concept yet that the computer is different from windows.
Ubuntu can be that concept.

I would prefer a little more indication of activity on some occasions
- I use a lot of old slow computers.
--
alan c