[ubuntu-uk] Post-LinuxWorld thoughts

Stuart Parkington mrsparks_maillists at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 22:33:07 GMT 2006

Although overall I thought the organisation prior to and during the
LinuxWorld Expo last week was very good indeed, with most requirements
covered, I wonder if we should document any lessons collectively learnt,
things that went well and things that didn't go so well?

To start the ball rolling:

1. As many people I spoke with didn't realise that the ubuntu-uk group
existed I wrote the URL down many times, on leaflets, on delegate badges
and random scraps of paper. Small stickers, business cards or complement
slips with details of the web page, irc channel, etc. would have been
really useful. If we had stickers I guess we could have pre-attached
them to CD's and leaflets. It would probably be good to have the Shipit
and GetUbuntu URLs also listed.

2. IMO, Alan Cocks' multi-boot laptop proved to be great asset for
showing different versions during the show. Is it worth considering
pre-preparing virtual machines (either VMWare or Xen I suspect) of the
all available version (U, K, X and Edu), of the latest release, so all
volunteers could demonstrate any versions easily without having to
re-partition, rebuild or amend their current build. I don't suggest that
VM's  should be used in place of real installs, showing cool features
(such as Alan Popes 3D goodies/multimedia demo's) but I think they could
be a useful easily deployed tool.

Just a couple of ideas following what I thought was a throughly
enjoyable and memorable Expo.

Regards,
Stuart

Linux #423936  Ubuntu #4500