[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Team Approval.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Oct 29 08:42:31 GMT 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:17:45AM +0000, Jono Bacon wrote:
> In my mind, I believe LUGs offer a strong structure for general Linux
> discussion, support and community growth, but Ubuntu UK is here to help
> advocate and grow the Ubuntu community.

I totally agree. LUGs are there for any Linux user be they aligned to
Ubuntu, Redhat, Slackware or whatever.

> We are not intending to impose ourselves on LUGs or in anyway replace
> LUGs, just to have symbiotic relationship in which we are good at Ubuntu
> things and LUGs are good at general free software things.

Agreed. Whilst I am of the opinion that many LUGs in the UK could
really do with some invigoration, we (Ubuntu-*) need to be careful not to
over-do the Ubuntu side of things. LUGs pre-date Ubuntu and Ubuntu-UK by
some considerable margin, they have many hundreds of members in the UK and
many of them are quite active whether we (Ubuntu-*) are there or not. We
(Ubuntu-*) need to be careful not to "take over", "muscle in", or in any way
make them feel that they have to use Ubuntu whilst at the same time help to
invigorate and stimulate growth in those LUGs.

Cheers,
Al.