[ubuntu-uk] Wow

Ian igb123 at talktalk.net
Fri Oct 27 23:19:23 BST 2006

-------Original Message-------

From: Andy

Date: 27/10/2006 18:46:46

To: British Ubuntu Talk

Subject: Re: [ubuntu-UK] Wow

On 27/10/06, Ian <igb123 at talktalk.net> wrote:

> Well my broadband runs at 2.3mbps and the borrowed router I tried

> cut that speed in half so I don't know.

I am behind a router and can achieve a speed of 2mbps (if the ISP is

Playing nice)

What are you using to test your speed?

Bit torrent downloads may slow down due to NAT routers acting as a

Firewall and blocking all inbound connections (due to the way NAT

Works).

Other P2P systems may be affect in a similar manner.

But then no one would be stupid enough to test their connection speed

With P2P software.

The interface on the router should be running faster than a few mbps,

Especially as they can be used on internal networks.

NAT requires modifying packets, this will take some time for the

Router, but its so small its not really an issue, though it may add a

Small amount of latency.

If the router is overloaded (I.e. Being flooded by packets from

Another machine on your network) it may run slow or fail, but as its

Only your machine this won't be a problem for it

Please don't post in HTML with a large font and coloured quotes,

You might also want to avoid top posting and quoting only the part of

A message that is relevant.

- Andy

My word am I always going to receive adverse comments to which I have to
apologise here.. Now its HTML and top posting. I saw one here with a full
page photo is that also barred?

Test what. I am on XP and the speed shows clearly enough. From 2000 to 1000
is a drop in my view.

We will see in I use a different router I guess.