[ubuntu-uk] Project Proposal (Mark Forster)

julian ju at maxres.org
Tue Oct 17 14:08:47 BST 2006

I thought SciBuntu

I wanted to float the idea of a possible Ubuntu project here. Given the
rationale of edubuntu I wanted to suggest that a Ubuntu distro pre-built
with a collection of valuable life science applications would be of value to
academic and industrial researchers.

It could also be a set of packages (and docs) to be added to an existing
Ubuntu release.
Applications that I would suggest including are listed below

Many of these apps exist on the Vigyaan live CD (www.vigyaancd.org),  but
what is needed  is the Ubuntu polish and
solid documantation on usage.

What about a name
maybe Life Science Ubuntu, LSbuntu ?
The one I like is Biobuntu.

Regards

Mark

CCP1gui or Ghemical as a chemistry visualisation tool.
MOPAC for semi-empirical quantum chemistry.
MPQC for ab initio quantum chemistry.
Gromacs for molecular dynamics.

JChempaint or BKchem for molecule drawing in 2D
OpenBabel for interconversion of chemical molecular structure formats.
Jmol / Pymol for 3D molecular visualisation.

EMBOSS for bioinformatics - biological sequence analysis.
Tcoffee for aligning protein/DNA sequences.

R for statistical analysis and visualisation.
GNUplot / Octave for data visualisation and graphics.