[ubuntu-uk] PHP IDE for Ubuntu

stude.list at googlemail.com stude.list at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:39:12 BST 2006

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good PHP IDE?

I would preferably like one that can handle multiple files at one,
preferably with some kind of project interface where it lists all the
files in my project.
Auto Complete of inbuilt functions, and if possible auto parsing of my
PHP code so it can suggest my functions.
Error highlighting would be useful, but not required because I can
just run the PHP parser over it.
Integrated debugger may be useful but is a really low priority, I
normally put in echos when something goes wrong.

Of course content highlighting is essential.

Gedit does the highlighting but not much more.
I have tried gphpedit, it does some auto complete, but not for my
functions and feels a little basic, and when invoked from the command
line it spews GTK warnings all over the console, which I would still
like to use (for things like CVS).

I have done quite a lot of Java programming and am a fan of Eclipse.
I hear there is a couple of PHP extensions for it, has anyone used
them and which is best?

Of course its essential the program is Free and Open Source. And MUST
run under Ubuntu, I intend to do quite a bit of PHP programming and I
refuse to spend that much time in Windows.
I would prefer it to be in the repositories but I can compile from
source if its a really good application.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

- Andy