[ubuntu-uk] Firefox, iceweasel and Thunderbird

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:16:01 BST 2006

On 11/10/06, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure its only copyright that's automatic, not trademarks.

That's correct.

> I believe trademarks are registered and the owner needs to control use
> of the mark or they can lose the trademark status. Kleenex had this
> problem many years ago!

This is why Google are fighting to stop people using 'google' as a
verb, and why Apple are trying to stop people talking about
'podcasts'.

Hoover, velcro, sellotape: there's a long list of products as well as
Kleenex. I think the legal term is something like 'dilution', which
means the trademark owner can no longer get protection for the mark.

Hwyl,
Neil.