[ubuntu-uk] A small Bet, because Im fed up with not knowing.

Nik Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Mon Oct 9 09:00:56 BST 2006

So the BBC have yet again trotted out the same tired old news article
about safe surfing. As usual they dont suggest trying a different
opertating system ( well they disparage it as well ! ) but they never
really seem to investigate this new story in any depth. Now I know that
we talk about it and we discuss it try not to be to prideful in case it
really is possible but why are we not talking about the elephant in the
room  ? why is there no really good details that demonstrate it as
possible. Are we really concerned that it might be possible, and if it
is , are we also lacking in confidence that we cannot fix and resolve
the issues. These concepts seem to be after all the very soul of why we
feel open and community software make for better security.  So Im
genuinely interested, and at the risk of being ousted from the group for
impolite conversation,  I really want to know if any one has actually
suffered from and can in some way demonstrate to me the following.

demonstrate a working Linux Virus that can
    infect their Ubuntu desktop account  ( and other users of that same
machine  ) by being launched from a email attachment.
    it must infect the core system files.
    it must set up its own mail user agent which it uses to propogate
copies of itself to members of your address book.
    it must attempt to replicate it self succesfully into another machines.

I KNOW how touchy this topic is , so please avoid the rants into the
forum or the list but we never really seem to want to look earnestly and
directly at this and discuss it.

Having seen the BBC news article I am again left amazed that they cannot
simply point out that the core issue is the single popularity of one
operating system. In a diversified environment with many different
operating systems the threat is far less and the risk is reduced. So
over to you, if you can please take time to watch the articles and write
to the BBC and ask them to consider a wider scope to their advice. One
final piece, I understand that the BBC is giving advice to users based
on established "popular" operating systems I am just always amazed they
dont suggest that people switch to something else.

right .. now Can Open ... Worms Everywhere... Im off to work !

Nik