[ubuntu-uk] Bootup screen

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Oct 7 20:06:54 BST 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 04:50:55AM +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
> Matthew Saunders wrote:
> > My working menu.lst shows:
> >
> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
> >
> > I don't know if it will help your problem, but you don't have the word
> > splash on that line?  I'm only guessing but this might get the start
> > up screen working.
> >
> I concur.

Er, I disagree. :)

You shouldn't be editing menu.lst down that far. The bits you should edit
are the bits that are commented out after where it says..

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

Like this bit for example..

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

Then do 'sudo update-grub' and you'll get something funky like this.

alan at wopr:~$ sudo update-grub
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-386
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-6-686
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done
^^^^^ note that line, it uses the comments you make to construct the bottom
half of the file. You monkey around with it and your settings will get lost
the next time update-grub is run - which happens when you get a new kernel.

That's how I understand it works anyway - may well be utter cobblers :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.