[ubuntu-uk] 6.10 beta released, anybody being brave?

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 16:19:43 BST 2006

On 10/2/06, David M <lists2006 at trancepod.34sp.com> wrote:
> I see the beta release of 6.10 is now available.
> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/EdgyBeta
>
> Is anybody being brave and giving it a go? ;-)

I upgraded one of my two Dapper machines on Saturday. I had one
problem that a newbie would have had a great deal of difficulty
getting over. One package, Network Services Caching Daemon, wouldn't
upgrade and the whole processes threatened to end right there, leaving
a half-finished, useless machine. I had to edit a dpkg script and an
init script. I also had one problem that caused about a dozen or so
python packages to be held back, which was easier to work around
(remove some python2.4 packages and reinstall). Both bugs have been
reported and I commented on them. Not many people use nscd, I'd
imagine. It's mostly to improve performance of LDAP.

Since then, the machine has been running fine, except for one crash
that brought down Xorg. I've also reported that one.

All-in-all, it has been the usual beta-level problems. The changes
aren't huge, as far as I can see. Firefox is at 2.0beta3 and there's
an entirely new (and invisible, to the user) startup system called
upstart.

If you're techy and feel confident you can get out of hot water, give
it a try. If not, and you still want to see it in action, download the
LiveCD and play with it that way.

-Eamonn