[ubuntu-uk] OT: Great Britain. (Was: This list name/description)

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 11:33:10 BST 2006

Hi,

Olly wrote:
> On 02/10/06, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
> > Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom
> > also brings in Northern Ireland and represents the territory
> > governed by those merry folks in Westminster.

Since we're being a bit pedantic in the first place can I just repeat
that according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_%28terminology%29 there are
two definitions of Great Britain, the geographical and the political.

The geographical Great Britain is the biggest island, so it doesn't
include the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, etc., which are part of the
political Great Britain.

> Here's my favourite clarification...
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/British_Isles_Venn_Diagram_en.svg

Assuming that's the same as
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/British_Isles_Venn_Diagram.png
then it seems wrong and contradicts their text.  Great Britain occurs
only once, as a geographical entity, and encompasses the England,
Scotland, and Wales political entities.

Cheers,

Ralph.