[ubuntu-uk] This list name/description

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Oct 2 08:40:20 BST 2006

Tony Arnold wrote:
> You've confused me and at the risk of starting the argument you want to
> avoid, isn't UK short for 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland',
> i.e., everything except the republic of Ireland. Doesn't this imply that
> UK==GB??

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom also
brings in Northern Ireland and represents the territory governed by
those merry folks in Westminster.

Interestingly, whilst being British Territories neither the Isle of Man
nor the Channel Islands are actually part of the UK nor, indeed, the EU.

So to answer the question GB==UK? the answer is "not at the moment",
though if Northern Ireland ever did leave the UK (as is possible under
the Good Friday Agreement) it would become the case.

Sean